City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

SPECIAL: Deputy Editor

As many of you know life is very busy for me right now what with a gazillion jobs and projects plus a 4 month old son (who is soooooo cute he he he).

So a couple of months ago I started thinking about getting someone to join me on CityHippy as more of an editorial fixture. A few posts a week type thing. I wanted to bring someone on board who wanted to blog without the hassle of, well, running a blog.

Enter Becky.

We met about a year ago when she started work where I work. Becky is a lot like me in that she cares deeply about our world and wants to live a greener and fairer lifestyle. We ain't perfect but we are doing our best. Neither of us can afford hideously expensive stuff nor do we want to live a meagre burlap-sack lifestyle. We consider ourselves normal urban folks trying to be greener and fairer.

So hopefully 3 times a week you will get to hear a new regular voice. Ladies & Gentlemen, please give it up for Becky, your new Deputy Editor:

CityHippy: Hi Becky, a few questions for our readers to help them get to know you a bit better before you start posting. First off, where are you from?

Becky: Hi Al, can I just say how excited I am to be a part of CityHippy. You have spent so much time and effort getting it this far...I am honored to be a part of it all. Namaste.

CH: [Grinning] Thanks mate, it's all good and I am equally as excited to have a Deputy Editor on board to be honest. What fun.

Becky: OK, to answer your questions I am originally from a small farming town in Lincolnshire but having spent four years in Middlesbrough and nine in London – you can understand my hankering for all things green and good!

CH: Fair enough...I sure can. Sounds like a good enough reason to me. But what actually inspired you to be green and start making changes?

Becky: I guess it was something inside me in general; a growing awareness of the increasing decay of social responsibility as a whole!

CH: Well put...society seems to be getting more negative. There are positives but in general it is definitely a rougher world out there. OK what is the one thing you do that you are proud of doing?

Becky: The one thing I am most proud of doing...er...will three do? Walking on fire, travelling in the USA for fifteen weeks with forty dollars in my pocket oh and most of all is my decision to make a difference to my world & life and not just live it!

CH: Oh wow! We are gonna get on just fine. Walking on fire. Oh my god! Braver than me for sure. Your USA travels sound interesting...I hope we will hear more about that although $40!!!! I almost don't want to know ;) As for the last point that sounds just like me. As Ghandi said: Be the change. No point cursing the darkness eh? OK next question: What is the one thing you wish you could do?

Becky: Live in the best eco-friendly house but with eco-friendly technical comforts too and only spending my money with organisations that try to do good!

CH: Fair enough, there is work to be done but people are not going to retreat to caves and live without electricity, until they have to that is he he he. I can appreciate all of that. Very City Hippy. Here's another question for you: What is the one thing you wish everyone in the world did differently?

Becky: Loved thy neighbour and mother earth – sorry just gonna run off and cuddle a tree was feeling very earthy then!

CH: Hahahaha nice one. We love trees and get many strange stares when we literally hug them. OK up next is a nice day dream for you: What is your dream job?

Becky: Hmmmmm honestly – living a River Cottage life. (I appreciate it isn't a job spec that appears on insurance options for occupation!)

CH: Oh I am with you there. Growing my own (vegetables people, vegetables) and living the life off-grid with all my power straight from nature...now that would be cool. OK penultimate question for you: What is your favourite way to relax?

Becky: I don't switch off – the only time (and even then there is no guarantee) that I am relaxed is when I'm asleep!

CH: Oh we are so alike it is not funny. I just cannot shut my brain down when awake. OK final question: Why is the world a mess andwhat do you think we can do about it?

Becky: There is too much apathy – I was there, I didn't think we could make small changes and yet make a big difference! We just need enough of us doing it and talking about it and as demand increases affordability for all should come into play.

CH: Great stuff Becky. We are gonna get on just fine. Ladies & Gentleman, please give Becky a great big welcome. She has three great posts already lined up (all I am saying is CO2, nuts & a restaurant review) and plenty more in the works. She will start posting them this week.

I am sure you will enjoy her contribution.

Namaste

Al

Technorati tags:









2 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Becky! The green blogging world is full of danger, excitement, and well, a great group of people. It's wonderful to see you joining the team at City Hippy and I look forward to following your posts.
Best,
Michael

 
At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome, Becky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home