City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Thursday, June 29, 2006

FEATURE: The power of words

Words clearly have immense power. I take words seriously, sometimes too seriously. Words have many functions for me but mostly they inspire me, one way or another.

I currently subscribe to two Daily Quote mailing lists as I find them very useful in a) reconnecting me to my beautiful world and b) remaining positive and focused.

First up is the daily quote from Positive Press. Here is a recent example that explains why I continue to stay on this mailing list.
It is wonderful to be in on the creation of something, see it used, and then walk away and smile at it. Lady Bird Johnson (1912- ) American First Lady
As a new father I cannot tell you how true that is. Every time my son Coby Zephyr (pictured) experiences his world I watch in total amazement and give silent thanks for his presence in my life and the role I get to play.

The second list I am on is my favourite of the two. Debra Lynn Dadd was the Queen of Green back when being green was unheard of. She has a myriad of sites and resources all of which are well worth exploring. But her daily Words of Wisdom just continually invigorates me and has a special place in my inbox. Here is a recent example.
The only limits are, as always, those of vision. James Broughton
My own favourite quote of all time has to be Gandhi's Better to light a candle than curse the darkness. Although coming in at a close second is Groucho Marx's I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member.

My favourite quip of all time is Winston Churchill's reply to Lady Astor when she remarked on his boisterous behaviour at a party Sir, if you were my husband I would put poison in your tea to which the witty Winston responded Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it.

And to finish off my favourite words, my all-time favourite poem is by Emily Dickinson:
Tell all the truth but tell it slant
success in circuit lies.
Too bright for our infirm delight
The truth's superb surprise.
As lightening to the children eased
with explanation kind.
The truth must dazzle gradually
or every man be blind.
So there you go, just a small personal insight into the words that keep me going.

Namaste

Al

Technorati tags:







2 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Admin said...

Hi Al, your words today have helped me going to :-) Thank you for sharing your personal insights and also that cute photo of your son. He's growing fast and amazingly I bet...So when are you guys back to Cote d'Azur? please don't hesitate to let us know...if maybe there'll be a chance we'd meet up together in Antibes :-)

Otherwise, have a great summer...

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie...let's hope Coby is a chip off the old block and feels the same way about 'all things green' as does his dear 'old' dad...

Thanks Al.

Geraldine :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home