City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

WEEKLY Q: Is there hope?

I am curious to know how you feel about humanity's prospects for surviving the next 50 years. There is always lots of doom-mongering going on and a year or so ago I took it all to heart and became very depressed about the state of our world. I am still as concerned, if not more actually, but I now come at it from a much more positive angle. We can make a difference. I have seen it happen. Whether it will be enough change or not remains to be seen but we have to keep pushing for as much change as possible as fast as possible. There seems to be little point in being negative and depressed.

How do you feel? Happy & active or Miserable and given up?

Thoughts?

Namaste

Al

Technorati tags:




4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find the news coverage on global warming still seems at once scary and understated: if you actually listen and allow yourself to take in the consequences of what they are saying, it's terrifying, but I think the way in which it's reported makes it easy for people to simply switch off until it's back to the football.

As for my personal attitude to the next fifty years, I feel that all I can do is to live life as best as I can, trying to do things that work for both me and the planet, and hopefully telling people I know about my ideas without putting them off by being evangelical...!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger City Hippy said...

Hey Daniel and KW

Daniel you're spot on in my view, it is harder but we have to just keep on trying our best. What more can we do.

KW I agree that the media have a lot to answer for. I like your personal approach...all we can do is what WE can do, and hope others take responsibility too with the occasional but not pushy nudge from us.

Namaste to you both...

Al

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Al, Daniel and KW
Yes it is easy to feel that this situation is hopeless, but there is reason for hope.
Humanity has faced down environmental disaster's succesfully before, the Montreal Protocal against CFC's is a fab example, but also in our battles against acid rain and dolphin killing tuna nets. We have tools now that allow us to share ideas, make connections and possibly organize on a massive scale, which are widespead and relatively inexpensive.
The global situation is severe, but instead of allowing it to promote despair, let it inspire you to be focused.
WE all have to change our personal habits, and bring them more in-line with a sustainable future, this will require effort and research, and most certainly hope. Which I feel there is reason for, because, Hey, I'm here in Vancouver, Canada, interacting on a site of environmental action from the UK. Keep Shining.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger City Hippy said...

Hey anonymous

Love your positivity and your overall point...gotta love the web ;)

Namaste

Al

 

Post a Comment

<< Home