City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Thursday, November 10, 2005

NEWS: Fair Trade Coffee Failure



Tried the challenge in the Starbucks opposite Embankment tube in London.

Barista: Hi
Me: Hi can I get a tall FairTrade coffee please to go.
Barista: Sorry none brewing but can I interest you in either of the blends we have brewing: Christmas or Brazil?
Me: No thanks could you please press me a FairTrade coffee?
Barista: Sorry we cannot do that.
Me: Really...it is corporate policy to do it, are you sure you can't?
Barista: Let me check with the manager

Comes back 60 seconds later

Barista: Sorry there is no FairTrade coffee in the store to brew for you. Can I get you something else?
Me: No thanks that's ok. Thanks.

Left the store. Not had a London failure before. Disappointed.

Namaste

CH

Technorati tags:









3 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have recently posted on fair trade coffee over at my blog, please check it out and let me know what you think, I would love to hear your opinion.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Ryan Thibodaux said...

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but I finally did the Starbucks Challenge yesterday. Here's what I posted in a comment at sustainablog:


My results: My wife and I first asked for fair trade espresso for a soy mocha. The nice girl at the counter told us they don't carry any fair trade espresso. Not a surprise.

So, we said to scratch the mochas, and ordered 2 fair trade grande coffees instead. She informed us that they only have fair trade coffee available as whole beans, and that there was no possible way to make us a brewed cup of fair trade coffee (because it wasn't the one day a month that they actually brew the stuff).

So, I'd say the Starbucks on Castro Valley Blvd. in Castro Valley, Ca failed to live up to their policy. Too bad.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger City Hippy said...

Hey Ryan

Cool thanks for taking part...not to late at all...the challenge is into round 2 now so keep watching...

Starbucks certainly are...

Have added your comment to the feed.

Namaste

CH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home