City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

FEATURE: Ethical Shopping Trip

Recently I decided to go to my supermarket and do the greenest shop I could and it didn't quite go to plan. As a novice to green living this was always going to be experimental and educational.

Now here's the first hiccup - I did take my car as there is no way the 2.8 mile direct trip which has me loaded up on heavy essentials can weigh any heavier on the environment than the dozen or so buses required to get me home from this particular store.

I intended to try to do my normal shop but replace as many items as I could with green ones. Two instant big ticks for Ecover washing powder and a fabric softener.

I have switched to an organic milk and the price wasn't too much more than I was used to. I've never tried to fill my entire basket entirely with fairtrade & organic products and it was, to be honest, a struggle.

There are certain, erm, feminine products that I choose not to be without as I have not seen any reasonable alternatives - any advice on this Ladies would be appreciated.

I take a lot of vitamins and the best I have seen on a few of them are 'suitable for vegetarians' - now whilst that is a good thing - there must be some greener alternatives that someone has come across that they'd like to recommend.

Actual food content of my shopping is always on the minimalist side. I do feel that the fairtrade and sustainable food product ranges are growing nicely. It is the non-food (some may say non-essential) items I struggled to get.

Here's hoping that a) some recommendations come out of this from you all and b) that as consumers we demand more choice using our spending power.

Green hugs

Becky
OrganicsNow

Technorati tags:












5 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky
You've lots of options for the more personal items! Try the Nature range for towels etc... they do the same selection as most standard manufacturers, but they are gel free. You can get them in Waitrose and Boots (that I've seen anyway) or theres "Natracare" which I've seen in healthfood shops (so somewhere online like So Organic. If you really want to go the whole way you could always go down the "no waste" line with the mooncup.... never appealled to me though!

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Jane said, definitely plenty of options out there but they aren't always widely available. I use "Natracare" (thanks to my mom's co-op membership) and also recommend checking out Ideal Bite's suggestions here: http://idealbite.com/tiplibrary/tip.php?tip=20060314&title=Aunt_Flo_is_Coming_to_Town_-_Eco-Feminine_Care

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, slightly different to the other suggestions, but I can't recommend the Mooncup (http://www.mooncup.co.uk) highly enough. Cheaper than towel alternatives as it lasts for years, made of eco-friendly materials, and, at least for me, more comfortable!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Ooh, this is a good idea. Must try a similar shopping trip here myself!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger City Hippy said...

Some great comments there, thanks for all of them, Lynn, let us know how your trip turns out...

Namaste to you all

Al

 

Post a Comment

<< Home