City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Friday, August 25, 2006

NEWS: San Francisco

Hello All

I’m so excited to become a part of the CityHippy team. As a contributor I’ll be writing to you from San Francisco. The San Francisco Bay Area has such a thriving green community. It can be daunting at times trying to keep up with everything that’s going on here. Yet it’s exciting because it shows that things are happening and change is taking place.

I wasn’t around in the 60’s when the “original” hippies prevailed, but growing up I could still see remnants of the Peace and Love era; and I’ve seen this city transformed from then - to a dot com driven capital - to now, an eco-conscience community. It’s great to see more lines at our local farmer’s market than chain grocery stores. Tours of San Francisco’s architectural homes include not only the “Painted Ladies” Victorians, but also green built homes, and our famous Napa Valley is making organic wines as commonplace as the others.

The City by the Bay will soon be known as The Green City by the Bay. San Francisco can proudly boast being the location of the “greenest” federal building ever built west of the Mississippi! Our Mayor has replaced approximately 40% of its government cars with hybrid and natural gas and has an outstanding program called Green Connect, which is to improve the environment and beautify our public spaces around the city, through the collaboration of local government, non-profit agencies, and citizens.

There are so many fun and interesting things I can’t wait to share with the rest of the world about my city. Let me be your guide and I’ll show you what, where and when that’s green in the city.

Arcadia







1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Ella Rabaiotti said...

Hi Arcadia

I'm really looking forward to your posts. My sister-in-law lives nearby in Berkeley and I know that they were way ahead than the UK in recycling and 'freecycling'. I remember going to visit her when I had no clue about sustainability. She was recycling everything and I barely nothing.....I feel really guilty to think about it now. Farmers markets were weekly but in Wales we only had our city markets which middle class people had long forgotten. Things are changing for the better now but I hope you can teach us more!

Another green step
Ella

 

Post a Comment

<< Home