City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Thursday, July 20, 2006

SPECIAL: Nottingham Editor

Delighted to annouce another Editor has joined the collective. Vicky is better known for her ethical web development business Make Hay Ethical Media that she runs with partner and web guru, Jez. As a resident of Nottingham (home of Sherwood Forest and Robin Hood) she hopes to represent her town and I am sure she will do it justice. She has two great posts already lined up.

Vicky tells me:
‘I’m so exited about becoming Nottingham editor for City Hippy! I really want to take away the image of Nottingham being a scary place riddled with gun crime and help people find out about a green place where people care about making a difference. There’s so much for me to learn about my fair City along the way, I can’t wait!’
Am excited myself Vicky ;) Let's throw the usual questions her way and find out a bit more:

CityHippy: Who are you, where do you come from and live?

Vicky: Originally I’m from a small town in Nottinghamshire called Mansfield, I then moved to Norwich to go to uni and then back to Nottingham city where I now live with my partner Jez. We run Make Hay Ethical E-media, our web design company from here.

CityHippy: What inspires you to be green?

Vicky: Looking back my parents lived in a green and resourceful way (not necessarily solely for environmental reasons) and some of that definitely rubbed off. I also used to work in a wholefoods shop and had the opportunity to learn more about green issues and eat organic food. The real turning point for me though has to be when I read Neil Crofts ‘Authentic’ which I would recommend to everyone. Over time I’ve tried to increase the number of green things I do at home and now at work and there’s still so much to learn. I don’t want to look back and wish I’d done more towards helping the environment – that’s my motivation now.

CityHippy: What is the one thing you do that you are proud of doing?

Vicky: Running Make Hay and feeling like we’re making a tangible difference. With Make Hay we’re aiming to be part of a movement which is having a real positive effect for people and the environment.

CityHippy: What is the one thing you wish you could do?

Vicky: Kick the supermarket habit. That is my real weakness. When I lived in Norwich I never went to the supermarket, partly because I didn’t have a car but mainly because I didn’t need to. At the bottom of my street were small shops that sold everything - greengrocers, fishmongers, a delicatessen, a wholefoods shop and a fantastic hardware store. Unfortunately there aren’t the same things where I live now and I really miss it. I am gradually relying on the supermarket less and less but its so convenient when you’re busy. I’m on the brink of ordering a home delivery veggie box so I’ll let you know how that goes.

CityHippy: What is the one thing you wish everyone in the world did differently?

Vicky: Work together a bit more, stop living in isolation and realise that our actions impact on each other. We all have a lot more in common than we might think, take care of each other.

Sorry, that wasn’t just one thing was it?

CityHippy: What is your dream job?

Vicky: Honestly my dream job would be to play with cute baby animals every day but unfortunately no-one’s ever going to pay me to do that are they?

Actually I’ve always wanted to do something which makes a difference in a positive way, however big or small. With Make Hay I now feel that we’re really doing that. There’s also the added bonus of meeting so many fantastic people (Al!) along the way.

CityHippy: [Blush] What is your favourite way to relax?

Vicky: I love to just lie in our garden on a warm day reading a good book. Early morning walks in the park are good too, when it’s nice and quiet.

CityHippy: Why is the world a mess? What can we do about it?

Vicky: I think apathy is the reason and we’re all guilty of it in varying degrees, I know I am. We have to stop thinking that what we could be doing won’t make any difference and just get on and do it anyway. If everyone did one positive thing – recycle, buy local, look after a neighbour, adopt an abandoned animal, support your local Wildlife Trust, switch to fair trade, join Amnesty, whatever – wow, what a massive difference we could all make!

CityHippy: Fantastic stuff Vicky. Pleasure to meet you too, look forward to finding out more about Nottingham...Ladies & Gentleman...Vicky!!!

Namaste

Al

Technorati tags:











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home