City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

REVIEW: Battle of the eco BO busters

Cross-posted from Hippyshopper and updated.

Being green doesn't mean smelling like a yak. I travel on the tube to work every day and BO in a cramped carriage is torture. Not only that but BO at work is hardly a good career move and, as for your love-life, well, Napoleon might have been a stinky pit fan, but in general it works against you.

I recently decided to road-test two green alternatives to the chemical norm: Holland & Barrett's very own
Earthly Elements 'Herbal Magic' Unscented Deodorant (standard roll-on for £4) and Crystal Spring's Natural Body Deodorant (a crystal stick for £5). Both were purchased at Holland & Barrett's.

The winner was clear all the way through the testing. One worked and the other... well let's just say that on those days I found myself in acres of space.

The winner, by a nose (groan), was Earthly Elements. Plus, despite using it loads of times, for a good month or so, it seems I have hardly used any so it should last for a few more months. Bargain!

UPDATE:
Today I bought a natural deodorant (T'eo, pictured to right) from Lush for £3.15 and will let you know how it fares against the champ.

Namaste

Al

Technorati tags:











3 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger Rhys Wynne said...

Not that I'm a stinker, but this post is of interest to me as I've been trying to cut down plastics, aerosols and othe nasties.

Instead of Shaving foam/gel from a can I tried Razorantium from Lush, but at nearly £8 for a small (re-usable) plastic pot, it was a bit steep, although worked much better than foam/gel.

Then I came across the Soap Shed at Cardiff's Riverside Market, who make nice Olive Oil Based Shaving Soaps.

Back to the deoderant. I've not been doing too well, at the mooment all I seem to be doing is using my girfriends roll-on, so she has to buy twice as often! Does the 'Herbal Magic' come in a plasic holder or what. Even if it does I guess it's still better than Sure, so might give a go.

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My local Holland & Barret had five brands of deoderants. I'd be interested to see some more testing results on this subject!

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are still too many chemicals in even the supposed “natural” deodorants out there. I found the most “true” natural one out there at www.bionutz.com No aluminum but also none of the other chemicals that we can not even pronounce, check it out:Ingredients: Purified water, organic Virgin Coconut Oil, organic jojoba, emulsifying wax (plant based – non-soy), grapefruit seed extract, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), organic essential oils of rosewood, geranium, cedarwood, and patchouly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home