City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

NEWS: Recycling books for charity

With much of Edinburgh watching the match on Saturday, Hibs fans and people with not much interest in football had the run of the city. I went along to the Christian Aid Book Sale at St Andrews and St Georges Church on George Street (east end near St Andrew Square).

I had read that the sale was a bit of an institution in the city, and I can see why. In fact next year I'm going to save a few quid up because I could have easily spent about £100! There are masses and masses of books inside and outside the church on just about any subject you care to mention. Not just books either: videos, music, toys, games and ephemera were also available. I was quite tempted by the 1957 copies of Ideal Home but I suspect they were out of my budget.

If you clicked on the link you will have seen that there were some collector's items there, but there were also lots of bargains. Most paperback fiction was £1.50 and there were plenty of 50p boxes in every section. There were some really good quality cookery and craft books that I could have spent a lot of money on, but restrained myself.

What did I get? Oil painting books for my boyfriend and some of my favourite childhood classics for me. If you get a chance to leave work early this week (or go along after work on Thursday, but it will be the last day), definitely go and have a look. You'll be giving a home to unwanted books and giving some money to charity too.

Katherine
Chatiryworld

Technorati tags:








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home