City Hippy

The diary of our struggle to live a green and fair life.

Google Search:


City Hippy

CityHippy has posted its last post now (I now work for EMP plc, run At Home magazine online and more and personally blog over at http://www.altepper.com). Why? Click here to find out. We might be back. Keep our RSS feeds, keep us bookmarked, sign up for the news alert on the right. You never know...


We are dedicated to exploring how to live a greener and more ethical life. City Hippy is a growing collective of writers bringing you two types of content:

ARTICLES: Enjoy real content by real people trying really hard to live a greener and fairer life. Generally in-depth with weekly updates at least. Located in main body below.Subscribe:
 
BOOKMARKS: Follow our web travels & explore our 1400+ links to a greener life across various categories i.e. baby, cosmetics, DIY, furniture, garden & shopping. Short, sharp and frequent updates. Located down to the right. Click here to see our latest three bookmarks.Subscribe:

ARTICLES:

Friday, September 08, 2006

FEATURE: Norwich - A Fine City

Norwich will always hold a special place in my heart, where I keep memories of happy student days. Back then I had no idea that I would be running my own businesses nor that I would go back to Norwich to tell its citizens about it.

This post is simply a tribute to the lovely people of the city I call my second home and although I’m on a mission to investigate how green a city Nottingham is, I have no doubt of Norwich’s eco credentials.

Given the opportunity to come back to Norwich for a couple of days I decided to set off, armed with Make Hay posters and flyers, to ask for the support of shop and café owners by displaying my poster on their walls. I love talking to people about what we do at Make Hay and have spent hours walking around Nottingham doing just that. I find it a great exercise to help you reinforce your aims and objectives and you’re always guaranteed to meet some interesting people.

I was so impressed by the open mindedness, awareness and generosity of the people I spoke to in Norwich that I felt like I needed to share it. Not once did anyone say they didn’t have time or that they had a policy not to display posters. In fact everyone took the time to listen, asked questions and wished me luck. Some even asked for extra flyers that they could give to a friend or put up at their child’s school.

Therefore in return for their support I thought this would be a good place to give them a mention and for anyone living in Norwich, or for anyone planning on visiting, this post points to some lovely places to visit. So here goes…..

Norwich Art Supplies
Head in the Clouds
The Greenhouse
Burgil Coffee (on Norwich Market)
Norwich Arts Centre
NEAD & The World Shop
Wilkinson Coffee Merchants

In Norwich there’s no shortage of shops and cafés where you can buy organic, local and fair trade produce and in other shops people seem to be aware and sympathetic to these issues. There are other things you notice which show Norwich cares about the environment like paper and can recycling bins in the bus stop and the general cleanliness of the city.

Plenty of scope for a City Hippy Norwich Editor Al! Any takers?

Another fortuitous event that happened to me whilst I was there was to bump into a BBC reporter in an internet cafe so thank you Adam Blenford for my 6 lines of fame on the BBC website!

Well done & thank you Norwich! Truly ‘A Fine City’.

Technorati tags:


















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home